Saturday, October 27, 2012

Mom Tip: The Hospital part 1

Everyone told me not to over pack for the hospital. So I tried really hard to make sure I only had the essentials.

I failed.

Now I am going to give some wisdom on what I used, what I didn't, and what I wish I had.




Electronic Devices: I packed our phones, camera (small digital), the Ipad, my kindle, and all of the chargers. We used our phones the most. While we used the camera some we mostly used our phones for pictures because they were easier to reach (you always have your phone) so I would not bring the camera next time unless I have an extra family member at the hospital to be in charge of pictures. We used the ipad but I did not have time after my epidural for my kindle. I think it would be useful to someone who is being induced but otherwise you have other devices you can utilize. All of the chargers were used.

Clothes: You only need one nursing bra, if you are going to put it on right away either put it on before they give you an iv or bring one that clasps and does not pull over your head. I brought a cheep pair of pajamas. I totally suggest this. Way better than wearing gowns, I suggest ones that button up the front for easy nursing access. Pack maternity clothes, though I suggest yoga type pants for several reasons (some explained next) but mostly because you will be in pain in your girly region and you don't want jeans rubbing.

Shoes: I packed slippers. Mine are really nice ugg ones that do not have an open back. This means I was unable to get my foot in them. Yep see I did not swell that much while pregnant but with in an hour of giving birth I swelled up till I felt and looked like Jabba the Hut. (This is also why you want stretchy maternity clothes). I suggest forgoing all foot wear except what you wear to and from hospital. Just use the socks they give you.

Toiletries: Bring your own. Either pack your own or buy travel size of your favorites. One of the best things after giving birth is the shower. You feel disgusting and having something that smells good will make you feel wonderful. They will give you some so you could just use that. I wanted to smell like me not like patient. I have a big aversion to patient smell.

For Baby: only bring an outfit to go home in. Make sure it has legs and is not a sleeper, otherwise you cant buckle them into the car-seat.You don't need to dress them while there. You don't need swaddlers either. Most hospitals use Halo swaddlers instead of receiving blankets. By the way I love this type, way better than the other ones.

Don't bring your boppy pillow. They will give you about 10 pillows which will be easier to use than to carry your boppy in and out of the hospital.

2 comments:

  1. Great tips for anyone who might be going to the hospital, for anything, not just having a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never would've thought about making sure the baby's clothes have legs so you can buckle them in! It sounds like second nature to a mom but not me lol

    ReplyDelete