Monday, January 7, 2013

Christmas craft fail!

So back in October I started planing all the fun holiday things I wanted to do. Of course pinterest was a major inspiration. My problem with pinterest is that I don't have as much talent as I think I do.

I found this really cute first Christmas ornament where you use the baby's foot print. This is what it looked like. Here is the link to the original page.
 little footprint ornament.

I planned on changing it somewhat. My plan was to not put paint on the inside and to use glitter snow inside. Then have Emily's footprint with "Emily 2012" written in green. I also purchased red ribbon for the top.

I then had the brilliant idea that I should make one for all the different branches of the family and have these be gifts from Emily.

So with this in mind I went to Michaels and purchased all the materials. I bought 2 packs of clear glass ornaments, red paint, a paint pen, red ribbon and a pack of glitter snow.

My in-laws were spending Thanksgiving with us and I wanted all of their presents done before then so I could just send them home with them. (trying to avoid the post office). I also realized there was not going to be away for me to get her footprint on the ornaments by myself. I needed to enlist my husband to help.

That is easier said than done.

He procrastinated until the night before they were to arrive...

It was not pretty. There was paint everywhere and Emily was screaming like she was going to die. James decided it was not physically possible to make these. Then I started crying because I was sleep deprived and I really wanted to have these (also because I am a girl).
Emily's Footprint (3mo)

My response: "but I saw it on Pinterest, It has to be possible"

So I put it all away deciding I was a failure.

The next week my grandparents visited and I told my very crafty grandmother about the project. Grammie knows everything right? Well she does so we got to work on getting these footprints.

Again it was a huge mess. Paint everywhere. Screaming baby. But we were successful in getting some paint on ornaments. Unfortunately most of the footprints looked like they belonged to aliens. Most were missing toes and some had too many, all but one was 2 times as long as her actual foot.

I scraped the gift idea. But there was one perfect ornament (well as close to perfect as I was ever going to get). I decided this one was mine. But life happened and I kept putting off finishing.

Finally after much complaining from my husband (the supplies were sitting on the table for most of December) I completed the project. On Christmas Eve I wrote Emily's name and 2012 on the ornaments (I wrote on all of them just in case I messed up, knowing me that was entirely possible). The day after Christmas I put the snow in.

Putting snow in an ornament is harder than it sounds. Obviously you think, funnel. Well glitter snow clogs funnels. In the process I got snow all over my dinning room, the kitchen and the bathroom. I also somehow inhaled snow. Yep, it was not a good experience. I hacked and coughed for the rest of the day. But now I have a beautiful ornament

3 comments:

  1. This is an experience you will never forget! I loved helping you, but I certainly don't know how they had such a perfect one on Pinterest! I'm thinking they used a foot sized stamp and NOT a real foot of a baby!

    Keep looking for these fun ideas. It wasn't a complete failure! It does make for a very expensive ornament, by the time you purchased everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea! I've have some of those "nailed it (but not really)" problems with pinterest ideas too :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea! I've have some of those "nailed it (but not really)" problems with pinterest ideas too :(

    ReplyDelete