Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Registry 101

So because I did a post on my favorite things I thought I would do one about baby registries. Maybe my new found knowledge about baby shopping will help those pregnant mommies out there. Also, I have some information about discounts at the different stores in case you need to buy a baby present.

I registered at the following stores. I will not register there again. Here are the pros and cons of each store.


Babies R Us

I originally registered here because I thought they were the gurus of baby stuff. I was wrong. The staff does not know the merchandise. It is usually hard to find help and they don't always tell you the correct answer. I have only found one store that was clean. Most are dirty. They send lots of coupons but you have to use them in store and there are lots of exclusions. Most of the items are overpriced. They have a completion program but there are lots of exclusions and stipulations. They are not very good with returns. You have to have a receipt or gift receipt. And it always seems the people who give you gift receipts are the ones who buy from the registry, not the other way around. The only time they have a really good deal going on is when they do the Trade-in event. You can turn in an old car seat, high chair, crib, stroller, pack and play, etc and get 25% off a new baby gear item (some exclusions apply). They do this event 2 times a year (right now and in the fall, around September). If you don't have something to turn in they also have 15% off baby gear coupons at the same time.

Target

I registered at Target because there are targets everywhere. Easy for all people to go to and buy from. The main problem with target is that they don't have many of their items in store and every store is different. They have lost of toys and clothes but only a few baby gear items, no furniture, and VERY limited bedding. Most people will buy you something they can run in the store to get. Also, most of the time with baby items you need to see it to decide if it will work for you. They have a completion program but it is not as much off as Babies R Us. They will send you samples of formula and bottles in the mail along with regular coupons. They also do not have a very good return policy.

Burlington Coat Factory

I only registered at Burlington because they had more bedding sets in store. Babies R Us carried the sets I liked but they did not have them in the store for me to look at. That was the only thing I registered for there. When I registered it was the first and last time I have set foot in the store. It is not that I have anything against this store it is just never very accessible to where I live and I prefer other stores. I don't know if they have a completion program. They send me regular emails now but they go strait to the trash folder. They do not carry more of the high end brands.


I will register when I am pregnant with future babies. Not that we are planning any in the near future. The main reason I will register again is for the completion programs and coupons. There will be at least a few items that will be needed and I am all about the coupons. Next time here is where I will register.

Buy Buy Baby

I had never seen a Buy Buy Baby until I moved to MO. It is closer to me than Babies R Us so I went in to check it out one day. I fell in love. This company is owned by the same parent company as Bed Bath and Beyond. It is set up basically the same inside except it has baby stuff. They have more brands than Babies R Us and the stores are clean. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. They will price match and you don't even have to bring in the advertisement. They will look it up on the competitors website for you. They will take competitors coupons as long as they are not expired (yep so you can use your babies R us coupons on the cheaper buy buy baby prices). They will also take Bed Bath and Beyond coupons as long as they are not expired (Bed bath and beyond coupons never really expire, I used one last week that was 3 years old). Also if someone wants to send you a gift from the registry they can go in store and order it, use a coupon, have it gift wrapped and mailed. Babies R Us will not let you use in store coupons to order things online from in the store. They have a completion program but I am not sure what it is because I did not register there. They are great about returns and I have not had any problem returning with out a receipt.  I am also now brand loyal. Why you ask? Simple, I had the best customer service experience. When I had a 7 week old infant my dog ate a part to my breast pump. I was sleep deprived with an infant who refused to nurse and my double pump was now a single. I was not happy and I am sure I looked like crap when I showed up at the store. I went and bought what I thought was the replacement part. I get home and it does not fit. I take it back to exchange and I can not find the appropriate piece. The employee helps me look. She can not find it either. We then spend 30 minutes on her computer looking at the Medela website trying to figure out which part is the one I need and if any retailers sell it. We were unable to find it. The Medela help line was closed because it was 9:30pm. If it had been open she was going to call for me. So while I left empty handed (Medela does not sell that part at all) I had an amazing experience and left with a smile. At that point it would have been very easy for me to get upset and emotional but because they were so nice and helpful I felt very well taken care of. It was also nice to have an adult conversation so that may have had something to do with it.

Amazon

Is another great place to register. You can find everything you need. They have a 10% off completion program. All returns are free up to 90 days. Also if someone is buying you something and they have prime they have free shipping.


Tips for Registering:
- Do not register at more than 2 places. It is hard to keep up with them all and not have overlaps.
- Do not register for clothing. People will buy you what they think is cute not what is on your registry. Don't waste your time. If you really want something throw it on there to get with your completion program
- Register for bottle starter kits. At least 2 different brands. You don't know what you and your baby likes.
- Don't register for all one brand in something that you need multiples. Register for different styles. You don't know what you will like (example swaddle blankets)
- Don't register for blankets. You will get a ton and they will probably be better than the ones you register for.
-You do not need a travel system. Most of the travel system strollers suck. Try out the strollers. Fold them up. See if you can lift it with one hand, because that is all you will have available. If you happen to like one that goes with a travel system that rocks. Other wise register for the stroller you like and then figure out which car seat works with the adapter that brand has.
- Try not to get over whelmed. Your baby will be fine if you end up getting the second best high chair instead of the best. They will become happy adults even if they have the wrong mobile. The baby industry makes us think that all of these things are SUPER important for babies development and if you don't buy the newest and most expensive you are a bad parent. That is so wrong. As long as you love your baby everything will work out perfectly

No comments:

Post a Comment