Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Family inside jokes

So every family has them. They usually are so well known that they just become a word. Or maybe it is not even a joke, just a name your family has for something no one else does.

Well the Blakeney Family (my side) has tons of these.

I have noticed over the last few months that my husband not only uses these words or phrases in everyday life but he will also refer to jokes and stories from before we met. I think it is so awesome. So here are a few  of the things he has said in the last few months. (one of these days he is not going to be happy that he is the center of a lot of my blog posts).

Dramatized: this is an actual word but my family does not use it in the proper context. Sometime before I was born a friend of my aunt used this word instead of traumatized. Apparently she did not just say the wrong word she thought that was the word. My family now uses it on a semi-regular basis to express when we are almost but not quite traumatized :) by the way, I do not know who this original person was, I don't know if I have ever met her and I am not quite sure exactly when this event took place.

James uses this often. Especially when telling stories.

The Bumble: My family is very into Christmas. We have lots of traditions (which we will all throw fits if they get messed up), special events, and TONS of decorations. One of our traditions started when we were very young. My dad traveled for work so on Christmas Eve he took all of us kids out all day and Mom stayed home and wrapped presents so that they were not up all night. Of course we have specific things we have to do each year. One of those things was to go out and buy some Christmas ornament. Now this sounds easy. Wrong. Most stores have removed all of their Christmas items by Christmas Eve. But one year we struck gold. I believe I was a Jr or Sr in high school and we found a collectors set of hand blown ornaments from the clay action movie of Rudolph. It was a special that the store was doing that year. And we bought one for each of the characters. It was awesome and we hung them up when we got home. The next morning as my mother was removing a present from under the tree she broke the Bumble. The Bumble is everyone's favorite character. It was devastating and we have never let her live it down. We probably bring it up at least 5 times each Christmas.

About 3 months ago James and I were having a conversation about something completely unrelated to this when out of the blue he says "Well if your mom hadn't broken the Bumble everything would be fine". I do not believe I have heard anyone in my family refer to this event outside of the Christmas season. I just about died. I think I laughed for 5 minutes and then had to call my mom to let her know James totally blamed her :)

The KiKi: My youngest sister had a blanket as a lovie item that she could not be without. As a baby she could not say blankie and so she called it KiKi. Kiki became a name and had a personality and we often wandered the house calling for her when she was lost (older siblings are awesome right). But now all blankets that belong to someone (not just a throw) are called Kiki.

James used this just last night. I was moping on the couch not feeling well because I am hugely pregnant and ready to give birth and he asked if I wanted him to get me the "soft kiki". I am sure he uses this term more than I realize because I am just used to hearing it.
Though I think the most telling time was when he used it on the phone with his mother. She was talking about nicknames for the family that the baby could use and Kiki was one they came up with for Kathleen (James' sister). His immediate response was "why? That is what you call blankets". It was really funny because he was so straightforward about it, like that is what everyone calls them and I am sure she had no idea what he was talking about.




The thing with little family specialized things is that sometimes when someone new comes in they can feel left out and the family usually never notices because they are so common. I think it is amazing that my husband was brought so easily into my family and I am so thankful for that. I also cant wait to create some of our own stories, words and jokes :)
Random pic of us from 2007
At James' med school graduation
Tiny Christmas 2007, he was not mentioned in this blog post but James knows all of his stories and retells them often :)
Melissa, Martina (adopted family member), and Sarah Christmas 2007. You can see our Christmas craziness in the background
At Grammie's Graduation Party

No comments:

Post a Comment